Total Pageviews

Monday, October 3, 2011

Pacific Beach, Washington




So with all our possessions in a 5x5 storage unit in Danville, and our Honda Element packed with all the rest, we have officially headed out on our adventure. After a short weekend stop in Salem, Oregon for a college football game, we our now at our home for the next two months in Pacific Beach, Washington. We have rented a charming one-bedroom cottage a half a block from the ocean, with lovely views and sunsets...

So a little information about Pacific Beach...this is a small beach town on the Pacific Coast of Washington state, unincorporated, and located in Gray's Harbor County. The biggest draw of the area is the two miles of flat, wide-open Pacific Coast beach.
Population: 141, number of households: 62. Yes, that is not a typo, this is a small town.
Our cottage is located right smack in the middle of the one block town, just a few yards from Surf House Espresso, a quaint coffee house, and 59 Main, the only gift shop in town. Around the corner are the two convenience stores in town that carry 7-11 type items, and around the other corner is the Naval Base, with the only restaurant in town...I had to drive 45 minutes today to the nearest grocery store...
Earlier today there was a siren that sounded with an announcement over speakers to the entire town...it was only a test, similar to the emergency broadcast tests that I grew up with on television, but this was broadcast over-air to the town. Tsunami alerts, storm alerts, or whatever other emergency might occur here is broadcast in this manner.

I had a vision that I would be jogging on the beach in the mornings for my workout, but when I awoke to pouring rain, I had to rethink my plan. I found a small 'club,' actually a small workout room for the Ocean Crest Resort in the next town over in Moclips. For $35 per month, I joined the club, no liability waivers signed, no EFT info required, and I even got to choose my own membership number...a far cry from SportsClub/LA- San Francisco, where just two months ago I was selling $270/month memberships with $600 initiation fees to CEO's of startups...

A simpler life, isn't that what I was looking for?






No comments:

Post a Comment