Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Ambassador of Aloha, Manager of Fun

We are days away from leaving California, but a very real concern of mine for this move to be successful is that I find employment in Kauai that will provide sufficient income for us to live. The tourism and hospitality industry is a natural fit for me, given my resume, experience and personality. That being said, I cannot aggressively pursue employment in Kauai until I am actually there, as no employer is willing to commit a job to an individual who has not established that they reside on the island.

So I have my resume posted with Starwood, one of the largest employers on the island, and they occasionally send me job listings that appear to be a fit with my qualifications. They have three properties on the island, all with different guest profiles. I have received several listings, such as Guest Services Manager, Events Coordinator, and other jobs that I feel that I absolutely would pursue if available when I arrive. I have received two others, however, that have brought a smile to my face, and an ease to my worries. The first position is for an 'Ambassador of Aloha.' My guess is that this is close to a concierge type position, however, the job title carries so much positive energy and love that it is absolutely a job that I want...just for the job title...
it makes me want to want to have business cards with my name and job title to pass out to everyone on the island and an e-mail signature that I would send to everyone I knew...just so they could see my signature.

The other job listing that I have recently received is one for 'Manager of Fun.' Really, is there an explanation necessary? That basically describes my life...managing fun:) There is an ease that comes from knowing that I am going to a place where that is a need that an employer is willing to pay for. I have not yet applied for either of these positions, but rest assured, I will certainly be looking for something along these lines when I do finally get there. Clearly Starwood has a sense of who I am, and I have not yet even arrived. Can't wait to see where I finally land...

No comments:

Post a Comment