Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Fear Factor

Fear is an interesting emotion, yet one of our most powerful motivators. Fear of success, fear of failure, fear of happiness, of sadness, of pleasure and of pain. Fear so often forges the path of our life and ultimately determines our destiny. We do not like to be afraid, it is uncomfortable, yet so often, only through our fear can we get to our desired result.

And with less than four weeks of life left at status quo, I am starting to feel afraid...afraid of what is to come, fear of the unknown. Though I know what I hope of my life to come, I am unsure how it will all play out. In less than four weeks, all of my possessions will be in a 5x10 storage unit, 2 suitcases, or in my car. I will be leaving the Bay Area, my home of over 40 years, my family, good jobs, all that I know to be secure. Will I be looking for security again? I am unsure at this point. I believe that what I am looking for is an opportunity to be alive, free, and the ability to live my life with purpose and meaning.
We do not have a home yet in Kauai, we do not know where on the island we will reside, nor do I have any indication how I will be earning a living. I suppose that it is natural under these circumstances to be afraid, but as I have taught my children....if you are afraid, and if the task before you seems reasonable, just take a deep breath, acknowledge your fear, and do it anyway.

And so I will be moving forward, with fear acknowledged, and see where this adventure takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment