Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Geography of Kauai




I am not sure about everyone else, but I always have to know where I am in the world. Where I am situated in a region, on a map, and on the globe. I can always certainly tell you which way the Pacific Ocean is from where I stand...when I travel to different places, I also have to know the area and region and basic geography of that place. Needless to say, I rarely ever get lost, I almost can always get myself around in an unfamiliar city, and it just makes me feel secure to know my place in the world.

So moving to Kauai proves interesting, because I have an entire other scheme of geography to learn, as well as topography. I am only just skimming the surface, but here are a few interesting facts: Kauai sits at approximately 22 degrees North latitude. I really have no idea what my latitude is currently, but the reason that this is of interest to me, is that the island is just south of the Tropic of Cancer, at 23.5 degrees North latitude. With each degree measuring approximately 69 miles, Kauai is less than 100 miles south of the Tropic of Cancer. Because it falls within the two latitude Tropic lines, it is considered to be in the tropics, which means that there are essentially no seasons because of the location of the sun at all times of the year. Note that a few of the countries that the Tropic of Cancer run through are Mexico, Egypt, India, Bahamas...

The Hawaiian Islands are the Earth's most isolated parcels of land lying in the middle of the North Pacific Ocean some 2400 miles from both the nearest continental land mass, North America, and other islands of Polynesia in the South Pacific Ocean. I suppose I understand the price of those United Airlines tickets now...

As for the island itself, only about 10% is accessible by car...note to self: I shall need a new pair of hiking boots. The island is home to the rainiest spot on earth, Mount Waialeale, with an average of 426 inches per year recorded since 1912.

And since I will be surrounded by the Pacific Ocean, I suppose that I will need to learn the terms windward and leeward and understand what that means, because at this point I simply do not. Just trying to still grasp where in the world I will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment