Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Music of Aloha

In trying to move forward with vision, clarity and intention here on the island, I have to look inward and remember what brought me here. There is magic here on the islands if you can sense it, but what was it that brought me that magical feeling? It was all that was sensual...the sights, the smells, the sounds, the taste, the feeling of the warmth...all of this was a draw and a pull for me to come here.

But I am a singer, and music calls to me and sings to my soul, it resonates in me. I feel emotion and sincerity in music...and Hawaiian music has so much beauty in its sounds and chords and harmonies. The emotion is real and so peaceful, and I don't even know what the lyrics mean most of the time...but it is beautiful music that has captured me and has drawn me in.

Two weeks ago I had the privilege of attending a live performance of Keali'i Reichel here in Kauai. He lives on Maui and does not regularly perform live. He brought one other guitarist and his cousin to dance hula...he was informal, had an open forum to ask questions, he talked story...it was perhaps one of the best evenings I have had on this island. And though I have been listening to his music for almost 20 years, it was an enriching evening of insight into this beautiful island culture and history.


The experience reminded me of the peace and calm that music can bring to us, and the clarity that it brings to the perception of our surroundings and our life. I have always turned to music in times of transition and challenge, and it has always brought me a sense of understanding and calm. I look forward to finding and experiencing more music of aloha here.

No comments:

Post a Comment