Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

E Komo Mai: Welcome Home

E komo mai...welcome home. I have moved into a home this week...only been here for a few days, but it feels like home already. Maybe because I know I don't have to leave in four or five days like I have had to for the past three months or so...I am unpacked, I get to go to the grocery store and Costco and WalMart and buy essentials, knowing that I am not a transient that will be leaving in a few days or weeks, I have a kitchen and am cooking again, I have a street address, and I received my first Christmas card today:)

We left our home in Danville, and I was absolutely convinced that I would not ever have the privilege of living in such a nice home again, at least not in the near future. But we have been blessed, for even though there was not an abundance of rental homes available when we arrived on island, we happened upon a beautiful home in the Wailua Homesteads. It is less than five minutes from the ocean in Kapa'a, the east coast of the island. My short drive up the hill navigates between the Wailua River on one side and Opaeka'a Falls on the other side, with lush mountains and greenery in between. A beautiful, fully furnished plantation home...two bedrooms, two and a half baths...lovely front porch, and a covered backyard lanai that overlooks streams and mountains...

The biggest concern that I had was that there would not be sufficient room for us to unpack...after all, I am an over-packer and we had over 10 pieces of luggage...but after unpacking all of our belongings, I realize what a small footprint we have had in this home. Although I feel that I have been carrying so much baggage for the past few months, I really have shed most of my baggage, have lightened my load, and walk into my new home, my new life, with lightness of things, lightness of stress, lightness of concern, lightness of life. I hope to be able to maintain this lightness, yet embrace the beauty that surrounds me.
Beauty is not to be underestimated in how it affects one's heart and soul...I feel privileged to awake to beauty each morning...                  

                                                         My Beautiful Danville Home
                                                             My new Kauai home
My new living room
                                                            Backyard covered Lanai
                                                                           Kitchen
                                                                     Master Bedroom
                                                                   
                                                                    View From Lanai



2 comments:

  1. Those big windows in the master bedroom are amazing. No wonder you've been up for the sunrise every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Malathy, I wish you and frank many continued blessings as you start meaningfully, your new chapter of life with all it's abundant possibilities for each and both of you and your family. Your new home is absolutely lovely in every respect and I can see why you feel calmed and hopeful. It is such a privilege just to NOTICE how you feel and take stock. That says so much about YOU as well as your new, sparkling womb of a house and surroundings. I wish you the many things you wish for yourselves and then some wonderful surprises that can only come from your thoughtful, genuine responses from all that you remain open to noticing. You are a beautiful person inside and out and I am certain there is a supportive, creative, rich new community of like-minded people you will soon be connecting with to continue to expand your sense of home beyond the sparkling, safe and lovely new borders of your sweet new house. thanks for sharing and keeping us updated!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete