Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Sunrise in Kauai: New Beginnings

Finally. Almost 12 months in the making, but I am here. I am here in Kauai. This is near the end of my second full day here on the island. Listening to my dearest friend, Leokane Pryor, singing lovely Hawaiian melodies on my ipod, and trying to grasp a sense of my reality...

HST,  or Hawaii-Aleutian Standard Time, is currently a two hour difference to PST, but will return to three hours time difference after daylight savings time ends, as it is not observed in the state of Hawaii. Hawaii maintains its 10 hours difference behind GMT, Greenwich Mean Time, throughout the year.
The reason I mention this is because I currently have a time change issue, and have been waking up several hours earlier than normal, around 4-5am, while still dark. Knowing that I will eventually shift my sleeping pattern to reflect normalcy, which for me is a waking time between 6-7, I have taken advantage of my early rising and have had my coffee early, and the past two days have sat on the beach and watched the sun rise over the Pacific Ocean.

I have seen the sunrise over the Caribbean a few times, I have seen the sunrise over the Himalayas once, Mount Kanchenjunga, at Tiger Hill in Darjeeling, India. The magnificence of watching a sunrise is exactly that...magnificent. Nature, God, whatever we wish to call it...at its purest and finest...it is the beginning, the beginning of a new day. 'Morning has Broken,' and all possibility exists again...and most of us sleep through the glorious sunrise, or we simply are not in a location that we can view and experience this daily miracle.

So my first two days here in Kauai I have watched the sunrise over the ocean...starting in darkness and progressing to glimpses of sunlight through the clouds and horizon, and then rising above to a new day, a new beginning, where life starts again...so I find it fitting that I have been awake and prepared to view, for I am at a new beginning myself, a new life, a place where where my life is starting again. And though I know that my sleep patterns will adjust to my new time zone, it is so gratifying to know that I have the ability to watch the sun rise...I am in a place now that I can do this, I can watch the sun rise if I so choose.

And I only imagine the transformation of a life where one watches the sun rise each day...and lived life with the understanding of the brilliance of the new day, its new opportunity, its new beginning.
It is to this life that I aspire.




3 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you and Frank. (A little envious too) I know the change will be challenging but the things in life that have great importance to us or have a major impact on our lives are. Soak it all in and imprint those memories in your mind, you are on a journey few will ever have the courage to enjoy. Love and miss you guys, call me when the dust settles and before you forget us mainlanders;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Quinn. Your kind words words mean the world to me..I look up to you, and for your guidance always. You are an inspiration and a true friend...yes, we will talk soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aloha kakahiaka e Malathy! It is time for your 'olelo Hawai'i lessons to begin so you learn the native tongue of the Islands. Talk soon!

    xxoo

    Leokane

    ReplyDelete