Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Hindu Monastery





I was unsure about writing this post, because although I have shared personal experiences here, I am always apprehensive about talking on the subject of religion. Perhaps it is because I am not a fundamentally religious person, but am a spiritual person. I do not have a doctrine or dogma by which I stand...and I certainly do not wish my beliefs to offend others.

When asked about my religion, my response is that I was raised Hindu. I am of Indian heritage, and I was raised in a household where all Hindu holidays and festivals were meticulously observed and celebrated. It is the only religion that I have ever really had exposure to, with the exception of the occasional Catholic mass or Christian church service at friend's weddings or other occasions where I was singing at a church. That being said, I do not actively engage in the practice of any religion, but like so many people, am in pursuit of finding inner peace and truth.

So after we had decided to move here, in doing my research before moving, I discovered that there was a Hindu temple here on the island. I found this initially to be a sign of some sort that I had made the right decision about which island to move to... I knew that the general vicinity of the temple was near my new home, but really did not think too much about it.


My cousin and his wife and children were visiting Kauai here from Chicago this week. They are far more religious than I, and unlike myself, are more practicing of their religion. They had planned on visiting the temple, and since they were going, I asked if they wouldn't mind taking me along. I had wanted to visit the temple because it was something here on the island to be experienced, and I did want to do so. As a Hindu attending a traditional Siva 'puja,' a religious ritual, we were asked to wear traditional Indian clothing. Luckily, I had brought a single outfit for the possibility of such a visit...

Literally four minutes farther up the hill from my home, we arrived at the temple. I knew it was close, but I had no idea simply how close it was! There were several others waiting for the puja to begin, and as we entered the grounds, a sudden transformation occurred...it is as if we were all lifted to a higher ground, land marked with peace and tranquility...does beauty like this even exist in the real world? I am in a beautiful location for sure, but imagine then being transported almost instantaneously to an even more spectacular realm and foreground, a 350 acre lush and tropical piece of heaven.

If one wished to find peace and tranquility and the heart and soul of their religion, whatever religion that may be, I cannot imagine a better and more suitable location to do so. I was overcome by the majesty and beauty of this place, and I shall return again in the very near future, because it truly is a place that calls to you. My wish is that everyone would have the opportunity to see what I have seen in this peaceful place of worship, if for nothing else than to experience the grandeur of its simplicity, the majesty of its quiet.



No comments:

Post a Comment