Total Pageviews

Friday, April 5, 2013

Only Boring People Are Bored



"Only Boring People Are Bored" - Betty Draper, Mad Men

This Sunday marks the season premiere of one of my current favorite television shows, Mad Men. Great characters with great writing in a fantastic era of history...so I have fallen prey to all of the pre-season hype associated with the long awaited return of the show, and part of that hype are the countless quotes from various characters in season's past...all are the results of smart and witty writing, but the one that has stuck with me this week is from Betty Draper, Don Draper's ex-wife, who rattles off to her kids when they complain about being bored, that 'only boring people are bored.'



In weeks past, in the finding of stable ground, I have at times admittedly felt what I would term as being bored. After reading this quote, however, I have decided to take a different outlook and perspective towards my life and create interest and depth and purpose, so as to avoid this labeling...because, let it be clear, I am not boring. So hereby is a declaration...I will not be bored ever again, lest I be perceived as being boring.

I have created a simpler life, and with a simpler life comes a peace and calm, however, simplicity does not have to be uninteresting or lack depth. So perhaps my next challenge is to find the depth in the simplicity, for it is in that depth that the mind and heart are stimulated and challenged, and it is in those incitements that one does not feel bored.

I enjoy the peace of a simple life, but I require the stimulation of a more complex one...so I need to create that here, within my own confines, and create goals and a structure that allow me to obtain the satisfaction I receive from goals attained, even small and seemingly simplistic. I love my Bikram yoga, and it is absolutely an avenue that helps me in my journey to clarity, I love my job and it continues to provide me with a focus and structure that I require, I love the beauty of this island and the genuine aloha spirit that so many are willing to share. Now it is my responsibility to create purpose and meaning to a life with all these different facets...yes, that is my responsibility.



No comments:

Post a Comment